Earning Credited Service

Credited Service you accumulate under the Plan is valuable to you because it can affect the amount of your Pension benefit earned prior to 1/1/08.  Because of this, it is very important that the Fund Office has a complete record of each hour of your work that might earn you Credited Service under the Plan.

11. Why is Credited Service important?

Credited Service is important in determining the size of your benefit earned.  Also, earning enough Credited Service is one way of becoming vested under the Plan.

12. How do I earn Credited Service?

For computation purposes on and after January 1, 1996, Credited Service will be granted on the basis of one-tenth (1/10) year for each 100 Hours of Service up to a maximum of ten-tenths (10/10) in a Plan Year.

13. What constitutes an Hour of Service?

For benefit computation purposes, an Hour of Service is an hour of Covered Employment.  Covered Employment is employment with an Employer who is required to contribute to this Pension Plan because the Employer has entered a Collective Bargaining Agreement with Local 25 (or another type of agreement with the Trustees).

For vesting and eligibility purposes, an Hour of Service is an hour of Covered Employment or an hour of Related Service.  Related Service is employment with a contributing Employer in a classification for which the Employer is not required by an agreement to contribute to this Plan, and such employment immediately precedes or follows Covered Employment with such employer.

14. If I fail to earn a full year of Credited Service in a Plan Year, can I make up that Credited Service?

Prior to 2008, if you had 10 years of benefit Credited Service but failed to earn a full year of Credited Service in any year, then, in any plan year prior to January 1, 2008 that you worked 1,500 or more hours in covered employment, with at least 1,000 hours within the jurisdiction of Local 25 I.B.E.W., you would earn additional Credited Service, up to a maximum of ¼ year, to be applied to any prior year in which you did not earn a full year of Credited Service.  In no event would this result in more than one year of Credited Service for any plan year.

Beginning January 1, 2008, this rule no longer applies, however, any Credited Service made up prior to January 1, 2008 is not forfeited.

15. Is there a limit of Credited Service that I can accumulate in my lifetime?

Yes.  For retirements on and after January 1, 2010 the maximum Credited Service you may earn is 35 years.

16. Is there a limit of Credited Service that I can earn in any one Plan Year?

Yes.  There is a limit of one year of Credited Service that you can earn in any one Plan Year.

17. Will I receive Credited Service for time spent in the Military?

Service in the Armed Forces of the United States is credited to the extent required by law.  To protect your rights, and receive Future Credited Service for your period of military service, if you leave Covered Employment to enter military service, you should apply for reemployment with your Employer or any other Contributing Employer after your military service ends within the time prescribed by law.  You must also call your claim for Credited Service for military service to the attention of the Trustees, and be prepared to supply the evidence that the Trustees will need in order to determine your rights.

18. Can I lose my Credited Service once I have earned it?

Yes.  If you incur a Break in Service (see question 21) at a time when you are not vested (see questions 19 and 20), you will forfeit the Credited Service that you accumulated prior to the end of the Break in Service.

However, under certain circumstances, such forfeited Credited Service can be reinstated (see question 25).